What is Disc Extrusion?
A disc extrusion, which is a term for a herniated disc, can have an extremely negative impact on your quality of life — affecting relationships, work, sleep and favorite hobbies. Disc extrusion symptoms range from local pain and irritation, to shooting pains and pins-and-needles sensations in the upper or lower body. Extruded disc material putting pressure on the spinal cord or an existing nerve root typically causes disc extrusion symptoms.
There are many different factors that can cause disc extrusion; and whether you have been diagnosed with this condition or you are trying to prevent it, it can be helpful to better understand them.
Causes of Disc Extrusion
Although the development of spine conditions like disc extrusion is complex, here are some of the most common causes:
- Envejecimiento: The natural degeneration of the spinal discs due to age-related factors like loss of water and protein content. This makes the discs less elastic and more likely to develop a tear and push out inner disc material. This is the leading cause of this condition.
- Carrying extra body weight: Being overweight or obese adds to the stress on the spine and can accelerate natural deterioration.
- Lesión: Traumatic injuries can cause an already weakened disc to develop into an extrusion. This can include an automobile accident or a repetitive motion injury.
- Postura: Poor posture and improper lifting technique can cause an uneven load on the discs, which can speed up the degenerative process.
- De fumar: Smoking decreases circulation while putting toxins into the bloodstream, which can be very harmful for the discs since they already receive a limited blood supply.
Opciones de tratamiento
Depending on the cause of your condition, there are different solutions for your pain. Therefore, it is important to establish the cause prior to jumping into treatment. At BEST, our surgeons work with patients to determine the root of the problem to ensure it does not return.
When it comes to disc extrusion, everyone is different and it can be difficult to pinpoint the cause. However, this condition can be treated like spinal arthritis or a bulging disc. In a large number of cases, people with this condition are able to effectively relieve their disc extrusion symptoms by following a course of doctor-recommended conservative treatment options like physical therapy, over-the-counter medications, low-impact exercise, and spinal injections.
If you are struggling with a back pain and wanting to seek pain, contacta a nuestro equipo today. We aim to find patients the most effective, least invasive treatment option.