¿Qué es el Estrechamiento Foraminal?
Foraminal narrowing is described as the narrowing of the tunnels where the nerves exit the spine. This condition can result in pressure or pinching of the exiting nerve root. This can cause localized and radiating pain as well as numbness, tingling, and muscle weakness. If you are experiencing debilitating symptoms, consult your doctor immediately. This will allow you to get the proper diagnosis in a timely matter.
At BEST Health System, pain management is our primary goal. We strive to help patients find the most effective, least invasive treatment option. If you are seeking pain relief, working with a specialist at BEST is a great first step. Continue reading to learn more about managing your foraminal narrowing pain.
Foraminal Narrowing Pain Relief Remedies
If your doctor confirms that you are indeed suffering from foraminal narrowing in your spine, they will likely put together a treatment regimen that consists of:
- Medicamentos para el dolor include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), antidepressants, epidural steroid injections, and prescription narcotics that can treat nerve pain and inflammation.
- Control de peso as excess weight and lack of proper nutrients in your diet can worsen your condition by creating added pressure on the spine when bending, twisting, and rotating.
- Ejercicios de bajo impacto like walking, swimming, or bicycling are vital in relieving stress placed on your spine and strengthening your muscles.
- Terapia física techniques such as massages, hot and cold therapy, ultrasounds, and range of motion exercises can help strengthen the muscles in the spine and relieve nerve root compression.
- Cirugía de columna may be recommended as a last resort if the above nonsurgical treatments do not provide you with adequate relief from foraminal narrowing after several weeks or months.
Cirugía con el Dr. Keith Girton
If you have tried all recommended therapies for a few months without relief, you may be a candidate for cirugía. At BEST, we offer minimally invasive surgical procedures that require a less-than-one-inch incision and allow for shorter recovery times. Although traditional surgeries are always available, they often aren’t the best option for patients looking for relief from chronic pain.
Dr. Keith Girton is BEST Health System’s primary spine surgeon at our Cincinnati location. He works closely with patients to find a treatment path they are most comfortable with. Whether this is physical therapy or one of our minimally invasive procedures, we can help. Contacto MEJOR for more information on being a patient with Dr. Keith Girton.