Bulging disc treatment can often be accomplished without traditional open spine surgery. In fact, many physicians encourage their patients to use the most conservative or minimally invasive remedy. Moreover, there may be several options to consider. Further, One possible downside to this approach is that finding an effective bulging disc treatment plan can take time. But, it may help you avoid an unnecessary operation.
Bulging Disc Symptoms
Bulging disc symptoms will vary depending on the severity and location of the condition. In addition, severe pain can occur both locally. Furthermore, it can radiate if the disc material puts pressure on a spinal nerve. Additionally, some of the most common symptoms include:
- Muscle spasms or cramping
If you are experiencing these symptoms, there are treatments available to help. Continue reading to learn more about conservative and minimally invasive options through BEST.
Bulging Disc Treatment
If you are experiencing discomfort that warrants bulging disc treatment, you should start by having a personal consultation with an experienced physician. They can provide you with an accurate diagnosis and individualized advice and guidance. Moreover, depending on your unique needs and goals, your bulging disc treatment program might begin with:
- Weight loss, if applicable
- Activity modifications, such as avoiding heavy lifting and making ergonomic adjustments to your workstation
- Moist heat and ice pack applications to painful areas as necessary
- Regular stretching and strengthening exercises to enhance the flexibility and strength of your core muscles
- Over-the-counter pain relievers and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) taken as needed
- Chiropractic spinal decompression therapy
- Epidural steroid injections
Minimally Invasive Surgery
If you find that conservative bulging disc treatment does help you you might consider surgery. However, traditional open back surgery is not necessary in most cases. Consider the minimally invasive spine surgery performed by the surgeons at BEST Health System. This is often the clinically appropriate first choice and provides many advantages versus open neck or back surgery.
BEST Health System
If you’d like to learn more about the minimally invasive procedures offered at BEST Health System, contact us today.