What is Degenerative Joint Disease?
Degenerative joint disease, also known as osteoarthritis, is a condition where inflammation develops in the joints of the spine. In addition to natural degeneration, the CDC claims that degenerative joint disease can be due to genetics. Although overwhelming, degenerative joint disease treatment and spine surgery is available to relieve back pain.
Typically, these structures are responsible for lubricating the joint, allowing it to move smoothly. However, when they dry out, bone-on-bone contact can occur. This can lead to localized and radiating back pain as well as stiffness associated when bending, lifting, or twisting. There are a variety of at-home remedies described below that you can try to relieve symptoms.
Conservative Degenerative Joint Disease Treatments
Typically, professionals will suggest conservative degenerative joint disease treatment to relieve this condition, depending on the progression of your condition. This may include the following nonsurgical therapies:
- Pain medications: Pain medications like acetaminophen can help keep back pain under control at the discretion of your doctor.
- Anti-inflammatories: Anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen can help to block substances that contribute to pain and inflammation.
- Massage therapy: This can help to relax stiff muscles around the spine as well as reduce the pain and swelling associated with degenerative joint disease.
- Acupuncture: This involves inserting needles into the skin to stimulate nerves and help with the healing process.
- Chiropractic care: This technique manually manipulates a spine to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves and restore blood flow.
- Herbal supplements: These can help to relieve inflammation as well as the back pain and stiffness associated with degenerative joint disease.
- Low-impact exercises: Walking, swimming, or biking can help build strength, increase circulation, and stretch the muscles that support the joints.
- Hot and cold therapy: Manages joint pain and stiffness as well as reduces swelling and inflammation by alternating hot and cold packs.
- Weight management: Helps to ease the pressure placed on the spine and ease the symptoms associated with this condition.
- Intermittent periods of rest: Helps to reduce the stress on the joints and aid in repairing your damaged tissue.
Surgical Degenerative Joint Disease Treatment
Although many patients are able to find relief through a course of conservative treatment, it does not always provide long-term relief. If you do not find relief, the minimally invasive spine surgery at BEST Health System may be able to help you find the lasting relief you have been searching for. To learn more about how our team can help you on the road to recovery, contact us today.
To relieve degenerative joint disease, our highly skilled surgeons use a small incision that is muscle sparing, resulting in a lower risk of complication and a shorter recovery period compared to traditional open spine surgery.
BEST Health System
Contact us today to learn more about the surgical options available through BEST. Our team provides patients with a less invasive, more effective alternative to traditional surgery. Start your path to recovery today.