While arthritis of the spine can be a painful condition, there are treatment options that can reduce its symptoms. Also known as facet syndrome, this condition can develop when the cartilage in the spine’s facet joints wears down due to years of wear and tear. When this occurs, the vertebrae in the spine can grind against one another, causing stiffness and inflammation. When the bones in the joint become stressed, they can respond by creating more bone in the form of osteophytes, commonly known as bone spurs. Additional symptoms can develop if a bone spur comes in contact with a spinal nerve root.
Beneficial Foods for Those with Arthritis
If you are undergoing arthritis of the spine treatment, your diet for arthritis can be an essential part of the overall wellness process. Here are some foods that can help improve your spine health:
- Fish. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish, such as salmon and tuna, can help fight inflammation.
- Cherries. Cherries contain anthocyanins, which also can have an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Dairy. Dairy products are high in calcium and vitamin D, which can increase bone strength. Leafy greens are another option if you don’t eat dairy.
- Broccoli and Brussels sprouts. Both vegetables contain a high concentration of sulforaphane, an antioxidant that could help slow the progression of osteoarthritis.
- Green tea. Green tea contains polyphenols, which slow cartilage destruction and reduce inflammation.
- Citrus. The vitamin C found in citrus can help you maintain healthy joints.
Another critical factor in treating any degenerative spine condition, including arthritis of the spine, is exercising and maintaining a healthy diet to shed any excess weight that may add to the daily strain on the spine.
Surgery with BEST Health System
For many patients, several months of conservative arthritis of the spine treatment therapies will provide the symptom relief they are looking for, allowing them to return to an active lifestyle. However, if symptoms persist, surgery becomes a possible option.
At BEST Health System, we believe all patients deserve access to modern surgery solutions for spine and orthopaedic conditions. Are you looking for minimally invasive surgical care? Contact BEST today to get started.