How Does an Annular Tear Heal?

Can An Annular Tear Heal?

For patients who have developed an annular tear, healing time will vary from person to person. The process of resorption, a chemical breakdown of torn or extruded spinal disc material before it is reabsorbed by the body, could take anywhere from several weeks to a year. However, it is possible to manage your symptoms while the healing process takes place.

Work with your doctor to develop a treatment plan, which could include pain medication, hot/cold therapy, massage, intermittent rest, and low-impact exercise. All of these treatments can help you maintain healthy circulation while the disc repairs itself. Read on to learn about the treatment options and surgical alternatives available to assist in the recovery process.

BEST Health System offers pain management and surgical services to patients struggling with annular tear pain. We believe in patient education as a vital part of the treatment process. Don’t wait to seek help, begin your path to relief today. 

Exercises for an Annular Tear

While you could be tempted to stay immobile during the annular tear repair process, it is in your best interest to be active. Otherwise, you run the risk of developing stiff joints, weakened muscles, and a less effective immune system — all of which are factors that can be detrimental to disc resorption. Some low-impact exercises that you could try under a doctor’s supervision include:

  • Walking or hiking
  • Swimming or other forms of hydrotherapy
  • Using an elliptical trainer
  • Strengthening your core muscles with a therapy ball
  • Working your leg muscles on a recumbent stationary bike

When is Surgery an Option?

About 90% of patients with annular tears will not need surgery, while the remaining 10% can seek more targeted treatments when other methods have proven ineffective. For these patients, there is BEST Health System. We offer a variety of minimally invasive procedures that can help you find lasting relief from chronic neck and back pain. Our orthopaedic surgeons specialize in procedures that are safer and more effective alternatives to highly invasive traditional annular tear surgery. 

Surgical intervention may be necessary if conservative efforts are ineffective. Through the use of modern technology, surgeons are now able to complete these procedures without the need for large incisions. BEST Health System is the industry leader in minimally invasive care. Even compared to other minimally invasive surgical providers, BEST is setting the blueprint. Contact our team to schedule an appointment or learn more about our services. Put an end to your back pain now and for all.