What is Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy?
If you have never heard of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy, don’t panic, BEST has you covered. PRP therapy uses a concentration of platelets and plasma from your own blood to form a concentrated version of proteins that support the growth and healing of cells.
Think of it as jumpstarting the body’s self-healing mechanism. Therefore, there are a number of reasons for using this therapy.
What You Can Expect From PRP Therapy
The first thing to expect before proceeding with PRP therapy is a complete examination and a full prognosis, along with treatment and care options that are right for you. If PRP is right for you, we’ll be able to go through with the next step and offer this treatment to help relieve your symptoms.
It is possible for your doctor to discontinue any anti-inflammatory medications or blood thinners until your platelet-rich plasma therapy is complete.
PRP therapy can sound a little scary but there is nothing to worry about. However, it is a safe and effective form of treatment. The following is what you can expect from PRP therapy:
- Your healthcare provider collects a small sample of your blood.
- The sample is placed in a centrifuge, in order to be rapidly spun and separate the concentration of platelets and other growth factors within the blood.
- After the plasma has been separated, a technologist prepares it to be injected into the affected area.
In comparison with other more invasive treatments, it is not a particularly complex procedure and is generally low risk. At BEST, we strive for quick and effective recovery as well as
What Does PRP Therapy Treat
You might be wondering what can be treated with this form of therapy. PRP has been found to significantly enhance the healing process which can be especially beneficial for the following:
- Osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease that affects millions of people. This condition occurs when the protective tissue at the ends of bones (cartilage) wears down.
- Musculoskeletal pain. Your musculoskeletal system includes your bones, cartilage, ligaments, tendons, and connective tissues. Your skeleton provides a framework for your muscles and other soft tissues.
- Tendon ligament. Tendons and ligaments hold the joints together and allow for movement. When they wear down it can cause bone-to-bone contact which can lead to symptoms such as pain and numbness.
- Muscle or joint injuries. Injuries do happen, whether they are during our everyday lives or because of participation in high-impact sports.
BEST Can Help
At BEST Health System, we offer this form of treatment as an alternative to regularly prescribed treatment options. We take great care in giving our patients what they need depending on their condition.
We understand PRP therapy is not for everyone but we still highly encourage reaching out to us. Providing you with a tailored treatment plan as well as the best care possible is our highest priority.
If you’re interested, contact BEST Health System today! We can help determine if you are a potential candidate for our PRP therapy.