What is Minimally Invasive Surgery?
Prior to medical advancements in the 1980s, traditional procedures, such as open back surgery, were a patient’s only option. Today, minimally invasive options have become increasingly more common and are actually preferred by most medical professionals. This is the case for a number of reasons, but most notably, it negates the need for a large incision, resulting in less blood loss, damage, and pain.
Depending on a patient’s overall health and the severity of their condition, they will need a specific procedure. While some patients can benefit greatly from a minimally invasive procedure, more severe conditions may require open-back surgery. In traditional procedures, the surgeon will make a large incision to access all the target points. However, in minimally invasive surgery, a surgeon will make small incisions and use a small, flexible camera to access the target locations. For most patients, this results in a quicker and less painful recovery experience.
At BEST Health System, patient education is one of our primary goals since it is essential for a successful recovery. It is crucial to do extensive research and get multiple opinions before settling on a surgeon and a procedure. If you are only just beginning your research into minimally invasive surgery, allow this to be an introductory guide.
Benefits of Minimally Invasive Surgery
BEST Health System encourages all patients to find the least invasive, most comfortable approach to treatment. Many times, patients can find relief without surgery at all, through the use of conservative therapies including physical therapy and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications. However, if these therapies are unsuccessful after months of treatment, they may begin to consider surgery. Luckily, minimally invasive surgical procedures offer numerous benefits.
Patients who choose the path of minimally invasive surgery can enjoy the following benefits:
- Less scarring. While traditional procedures require a large incision, minimally invasive alternatives sometimes only require a tiny, less-than-one-inch incision. This means that patients can avoid the heavy scarring traditionally associated with open-back or other invasive surgical options.
- Less pain. Patients who choose to undergo minimally invasive surgery experience significantly less pain. In fact, these patients are typically up and walking on the day of surgery, and can return home the same day of surgery.
- No hospital stay. Our minimally invasive procedures are performed on an outpatient basis. This allows patients to enjoy a more comfortable setting, with less risk of infection, and avoid a long hospital stay.
- Easy recovery. Choosing a minimally invasive procedure allows your recovery time to be a fraction of what it would be with traditional surgery. You will also be able to be more mobile and can participate in most everyday activities and tasks.
- More Affordable. Surgery can get very expensive. In addition to all the health benefits of a minimally invasive procedure, they also are less expensive!
Common Minimally Invasive Procedures
At BEST Health System, we offer many minimally invasive surgical procedures. Many orthopaedic and spine conditions can now be treated using a minimally invasive procedure. Below is a list of the procedures offered by BEST. Please click on a procedure to learn more about it.
It is important to note that while these procedures can be minimally invasive, more severe cases might require a more involved approach. To learn more about any of these surgeries, schedule a consultation to see if minimally invasive is right for you.
- MI Discectomy
- Decompression with Interlaminar Stabilization
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Facet Thermal Ablation
- SI Joint Fusion
For a full list of BEST Health System’s services, please visit our procedures page, where you can see all of our therapies and treatments, both minimally invasive and total.
Surgery with Dr. Keith Girton
Dr. Keith Girton is our dedicated spine surgeon with decades of experience performing minimally invasive orthopaedic procedures. With over 6,000 outpatient spinal surgeries and 30 years of clinical experience, Dr. Girton is highly qualified. At BEST Health System, our goal is always to help our patients find the most effective, least invasive treatment option. Whether this is as simple as physical therapy or involved as open-spine surgery, we have options for you. Our board-certified surgeons have decades of experience performing minimally invasive procedures, allowing our patients to experience a faster recovery time, less scarring, and less pain. Contact our team today to learn more about our minimally invasive procedures with Dr. Keith Girton.