A bulging disc is a condition where a spinal disc begins to extend out of its normal boundary in the spinal column. This is usually due to the natural degeneration of these discs. Natural degeneration causes the discs to dry out and lose elasticity over time. This makes them less able to withstand the pressure they’re placed under daily.
While bulging discs aren’t always painful, they can cause spinal narrowing and nerve compression, leading to local and radiation symptoms. This pain can be severely debilitating, taking you away from the people and activities you love. If bulging disc pain is affecting you, it’s essential to stay positive because there are many effective treatment options for this condition.
Your Treatment Options
While underlying conditions that cause bulging discs are age-related, individual cases of this condition can improve with time. It is essential to work closely with your doctor for a diagnosis and bulging disc treatment plan while you monitor the progress of this condition. Often recommended options that can help relieve pain, improve mobility and promote the health of the spine include the following:
- Taking anti-inflammatory or pain relief medication
- Getting regular low-impact exercise to help stretch and strengthen the spine
- Maintaining a healthy weight which reduces pressure on your discs
- Practicing good posture to help evenly distribute stress on the spine
- Avoiding tobacco products and excessive alcohol consumption
- Attending regular sessions with a physical therapist
- Eating a balanced, nutrient-rich diet
- Receiving therapeutic massage or manual adjustment from a qualified massage therapist or chiropractor
Additionally, some patients with bulging discs also pursue treatments outside of the medical mainstream. For example, your comprehensive care plan can include acupuncture. If you explore alternative therapies, keep your primary doctor informed and only work with licensed reputable practitioners.
Considering Bulging Disc Surgery
Spine surgery is usually seen as a last resort for bulging disc treatment and most doctors and most doctors and patients will want to make sure all other options have been fully explored before it is seriously considered. To learn more about the treatment offered at BEST, including how our minimally invasive spine surgery is a safer and more effective alternative to traditional open back procedures, contact BEST Health System today.